Thursday, May 3, 2012

Frog Stories available on Etsy!

Greetings, true believers!

My new self-published comic book Frog Stories is for sale on etsy.com!


The listing: http://www.etsy.com/listing/99017689/frog-stories-comic-book

The synopsis:

Frog Stories contains four short narratives of life and death drama, wherein the players are frogs, insects, mice, and other small animals. A pacific chorus frog makes a frustrated search for a mate--and encounters a giant six-legged monster. A green tree frog sleeps by day and hunts moths by night, performing amazing aerial feats. Big Bad Bo, an Argentine horned frog, devours anything that moves. He is lord of his domain--or is there a higher power? In Frog Stories, the eat-or-be-eaten world of the swamp comes to life, in vivid black, white, and cross-hatched shades of grey.

Interior splash panel for "The Threat of Big Bad Bo"--a dramatic and humorous tale of a tyrant horned frog, which contains some fond parody of the Marvel "monster" comics of the 1960s.

Frog Stories includes "Song for a Hungry Horned Frog" which I originally released as a mini-comic (8.5" by 5.5"). It is reprinted in a bigger, grander size, along with three new stories.



24 pages, 10” by 8”
b&w interior, full color covers 


If my experiment with Frog Stories succeeds, I will release other books through Etsy as well.

Good fortune to my mammalian readers and amphibious subjects!



4 comments:

  1. I just got my copy in the mail today and all I can say is Wow! You've done a superb job on the story and artwork. I actually laughed out loud at the last story. My favorite drawing is in the Acrobat By Night. I want to frame it but not at the expense of my book! Maybe you could think of selling a few prints if the etsy business goes well?? Please think of releasing your other works. I don't have any but would be interested. Looking forward to your future works as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sincerely appreciate all the support! I plan to put more work on Etsy. Which panel was your favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite was the full page one of the tree frog (in Acrobat By Night) of the frog flying through the air catching the moth, page 15. I'm glad you intend on selling more of your works on etsy, it is a great venue and gets a lot of traffic, wonderful idea! Did you print these yourself? The drawings are very accurate biologically which I was excited about. Is that an Argentinian Horned Frog? Did you have one as a pet? I had two fire bellied toads when I lived in Morgantown. They staged a coup (fire bellied indeed), murdered my tree frog (sigh), and escaped their dwelling never to be seen again (I still haven't figured that one out). But I loved them. . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, my ol' Argentine Horned Frog Bud is even still alive! But in his old age, he spends most of his time buried in the mud sleeping. The horned frog stories are partially based on real events, although I was not as adventurous with my pet's menu as the kid in the last story. I also kept green tree frogs and fire-bellied toads, who had less than harmonious relations. (I will soon post a little story about that!) "Acrobat by Night" is based on the feats of my tree frog, and "Luck" is based on a true story which I read about on the web, involving Pacific Chorus Frogs. I generally strive for biological accuracy in my drawings, and make a point of studying an animal's skeleton (especially) before I draw it.
    After drawing by hand, scanning the work and editing it digitally, I printed these booklets at Office Depot. I'll see if I can get some prints of the tree frog jump scene onto Etsy. Excelsior~!

    ReplyDelete