Sunday, December 26, 2010

Real(!) Christmas Trees; Adventures in Recycling


I hope that everyone had a Merry Christmas (or a merry whatever-other-holiday-you-celebrate), and will have a Happy New Year.

I celebrated Christmas with my family in West Virginia. My brother Carl and I arrived on December 24th, just in time for the whole family to partake in a tradition of ours, acquiring a real Christmas tree from a local cut-it-yourself tree farm. We chose a fraser fir (an authentic Appalachian species).

Regarding the perennial debate over which is better (or worse) for the environment, a real Christmas tree or an artificial one... Research demonstrates that a real tree is clearly the more earth-friendly choice (1)(2).

And speaking of the environment, here is another educational comic from the pen of yours truly. This one I created in the fall of 2003, during my senior year at Dension University. Throughout my time at Denison, I was involved in DURP (Denison University Recycling Program). Due to great organizational efforts by some other DURP members and university staff, the institution greatly expanded its recycling program in 2003--introducing, among other things, recycle containers for every dorm room. But there was a problem: many students did not follow proper recycling protocol. We faced recycle bins contaminated with non-recyclable garbage, and various other issues. To address these difficulties, I created this instructional comic/ poster.

Boris, the star of the story, is DURP's long-time mascot. I do not know who originally created the character.

My comic still graces some walls at Denison, thanks to the efforts of current DURPers. It may be the second most widely-viewed media work of mine, after my earthship video.

Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment